Sunday, September 22, 2013

Why Do I Write What I Write?

I attended the Festival of Books in Deadwood this weekend. I was at the Black Hills Writers Group booth passing out flyers and visiting with aspiring authors and book lovers.

Unfortunately, I didn't sell any books. Even the woman wearing a "I Love Halloween" sweatshirt read the back of my book and quickly put it down.

Judging by the long lines for certain authors during the mass book signing, people sure love erotica and mystery. 

My wife says I should write an erotica-based novel because that's what is popular right now. A friend of mine has sold several thousand copies of a dark erotica novel. During the same time span, I've sold three copies of my collection of short horror stories. Yes, it is frustrating, it is quite humbling. People read what they want to read. And for better or worse, I write what I want to write.

Horror, weird westerns, paranormal suspense, gritty crime, more horror.

I'm certainly not in it for the money. 

I write because it is challenging and rewarding to me on an emotional level. Being published alongside authors whose work I have read and enjoyed is always a thrill. And there are many items on my literary bucket list that I will continue to work hard in order to hopefully attain. 

Right now I have 14 stories submitted. Most are to pro paying markets. A couple are short listed. Several haven't been looked at yet. I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

In closing, with Halloween right around the corner, and the nights getting chillier, I humbly invite you to...
READ SOME HORROR! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers