Sunday, September 2, 2018

Buckle Up Folks, This One's A Doozy

I was only trying to HELP. But I should have known better.

Red flag #1: There was no publisher named in the submissions call.
Red flag #2: Acceptance email but no contract offered.
Red flag #3: I don't know anyone in the table of contents (not always a bad thing, but definitely a rare occurrence.)
Red flag #4: Editor does not use blind carbon copy (BCC) but instead CCs everyone, failing to keep their emails private.
Red flag #5: Editor sends out the "final" manuscript, and asks contributors to edit not only their story, but also the stories preceding and following their story in the table of contents.

The stories before and after mine were fun and engaging, but definitely needed some clean up and correction.

I turned on Track Changes and got to work.

Examples of issues I flagged (I looked up every single issue online for verification first; feel free to do the same to check my work!):

Character paces the "parameter" of a bedroom. I replaced with "perimeter."

Character spins around and "flaired" her robe. I replaced with "flared."

Character waits with "baited" breath. I replaced with "bated."

Painting looks "Van Gogh-esc. I replaced with "Van Gogh-esque."

A pane of glass "lie" flat on a desk. I replaced with "lay."

"Awe, I'm sorry." Changed to "Aw, I'm sorry."

The children leave their "parent's" house. I changed to parents' house (plural, since both are indicated to be living.)

"Moment's ticked by." Corrected to "Moments ticked by." (It's just plural, not possessive.)

Something went "passed" someone's field of vision. I changed to "past" their field of vision.

Someone might have a heart attack caused by "shear" pain. I changed it to "sheer" pain.

Improper placement of a comma AFTER the quotation mark.

Quotation mark facing the WRONG WAY.

"Ge" remembered... Corrected to "He" remembered.

Twice in the second story the author says something in one sentence, then directly contradicts what was just said in next sentence. I merely pointed this out.

In one scene, author uses the word "phone" to describe everything, including the actual phone, but also in reference to the receiver, the (phone) line, the cradle, and the hand set. I suggested cleaning this up.

Three characters in a room argue with each other. Author omitted dialogue tags. I suggested with three characters, dialogue tags would help the reader keep track.

The phrase "a little" preceded an adjective three paragraphs in a row. I suggested omitting the phrase in all three instances.

Here was the trickiest issue: "seven pm" According to grammar guides, 7:00 a.m. is acceptable, as is 7:00 AM, but NOT "am" (lower case, no periods). Additionally, author mentions "seven pm" and later switches to military time/24 hour clock and says "19:07." I suggested for consistency's sake, the author stick with one or the other. THIS IS ONE I DID MESS UP ON, ERRONEOUSLY STATING 19:07 was 11:07, which is incorrect. It's 7:07 p.m.)

A character could smell "it's breath." I corrected to smell "its breath" as in this instance it is a possessive determiner, not a contraction of "it is."

Author uses "they/their," "it" (no caps) and "It" (capitalized in mid-sentence) interchangeably throughout the document whenever referencing the ghost. I suggested choosing one and sticking to it for consistency.

Use of the phrase "absently minded" I flagged it and asked if this was a British colloquialism. Suggested, but did not change it to, "absentmindedly."

I stand by these decisions and suggestions.

The editor, upon receipt of my pages, sent me this response (AND I QUOTE:)

"Many of these are incorrect, or not welcome, as you were asked for errors, not editorial feedback, suggestions, or opinions."

Okay. Fair enough. Perhaps I DID overstep my bounds. But how in the heck did all these issues slip through the editorial process?

If the changes and corrections listed above are going to be ignored, I think that is indicative of a sloppy, amateurish finished product.

As such, I politely asked to withdraw my work from inclusion. As of this writing, the editor has yet to respond.

I have felt terrible all day. I was only trying to help.

I love editorial comments and constructive criticism. I love critique groups. I love fine-tuning manuscripts.

Now I am questioning if I should reach out to the authors of the two stories, or just wash my hands of the entire situation. The editor seemingly won't be making (or requesting of the authors) changes or corrections. But perhaps the authors would want to know. It's a good opportunity to learn. Or maybe not. I don't know what to do in that regard. At this point, I am embarrassed for the whole project and the authors involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is some positive news, however. I just signed two short story contracts with another publisher who I know from firsthand experience works carefully and judiciously to produce error-free, professional products. I look forward to working with them again on two forthcoming anthologies.


1 comment:

  1. My goodness! I'm sorry for this. Sounds as if they asked for exactly what you gave them. I always have alpha and beta readers for my books before I send off to the editor and if they offer editorial work outside of just a read through for content, I'm grateful. This coming from the editor, who'd asked you to do this, feels very unprofessional. He/she could have simply said thank you and ignored your input. I think I would have done the same and asked to withdraw my work as well. Honestly, you did nothing wrong. You went above and beyond what any editor should be asking of you, even if he/she DID ask it of you. I understand feeling bad, especially since I know you are such a caring person who only wants to be productive and helpful. Again, this all feels very unprofessional. Don't let other's negativity bring you down. You did nothing wrong. I may reach out to the other authors to let them know you only did what you hoped someone would for your story. If the authors are offended, that's on them, too. I've had many editorial critiques offered in the most blunt of fashions. It can suck, but you were very gentle with your suggestions and if the author takes offense, they need to get a thicker skin so their work can be the best that it can be. Again, I'm sorry you've had to deal with this.

    ReplyDelete

Followers